The title says it all, folks! After months of waiting, issue 1 of Comeback Kings is finally in stores. Head over to your local comic shop and buy a copy right away! I command you! Seriously, we need good sales. Help make this comic a surprise hit.
How to Sell a Novel That No One Wants to Sell. Hey, I’m Matthue. I’m Ethan’s friend and occasional co-creator (what, you’ve never read Can Zombies Be Vegan? What about Catpocalypse? Or that book that’s going to take us six years before anyone but our roommates sees it? OK, never mind) — and he’s very kindly asked me to guest-blog, since I have a new book that’s coming out, and he wanted to tell you good people.
Well — it’s sort of coming out.
A few years ago, I wrote a book called Losers. It was about Russian Jewish immigrant nerds. It was pretty funny (other people said so) and a little bit serious and sad and a lot bit weird. And there are tons of references to obscure X-Men, and I think Ethan was the only person to find EVERY SINGLE ONE. (See? Ethan comes into it again.) It sold a respectable amount of copies, especially in today’s Depressing Publishing World. And then I wrote another book about Jupiter, the main character — and nobody bought it.
“Teenage boys don’t buy books,” one publisher said.
“Could you put in some vampires or a werewolf?” said another.
So I decided to submit the first chapter as a short story, to an anthology. And then I submitted another. And another. The first chapter just came out, as the first story in the new book Truth & Dare. You can kind of read it on its own. Or you can read it and hold your breath for the second chapter to come out (in Apiary Magazine, coming soon!) Or you can go here and read the full explanation:
Or just click here: enemies, a novel
In any case, thanks a zillion for tolerating my little interruption. And my mostly-lack of pictures. And do check out Losers or Truth & Dare, if you get a chance. Because in this book-eat-book world, us nerds have to stick together.
(Wait, did I just call everyone nerds? Did I call Ethan a nerd? Oops. Sorry. Can we delete that?)
As you’ve all noticed (unless you’re reading this on an RSS feed), the site has gone through a nice, sleek redesign. You all have Joenis to thank for that, creator of L.A.W.L.S. Joenis has a great aesthetic eye, and I highly recommend him to anyone looking for a good web designer.
You may also have noticed that the site moves a lot faster these days. Well, that’s because I’ve purchased a Virtual Dedicated Server. I apologize to everyone who had to put up with the slow connection all these months. You’re a real trooper if you still showed up every week to read the comic.
On a side note, Comeback Kings #1 will be a bit late, but not because of me. I had the artwork done months in advance. It’ll probably ship around the end of April.
Anyhoo, that’s about it! Enjoy the new site!
Hey, y’all! Here’s a quick rundown of all the new things I’m sure you’re DYING to know.
- First, the new comic I mentioned. Comeback Kings #1 (in stores March 30th), written by Matt Sullivan and Gabe Guarente and illustrated by yours truly. It’s League of Extraordinary Gentlemen meets Celebrity Rehab, only the celebrities are all dead icons. The art style is slightly different from what you see in Tails; I used digital inks along with zip-a-tone. Not my usual M.O., but it was the perfect fit for this concept (and you’ll still see elements of my aesthetic approach and storytelling). Now go out to your local comic shop and ORDER them to get you a copy. Shake a fist full of cash if you have to.
- Ninja Warrior aka Sasuke. Have any of you ever seen this shit before? And I say shit in a good way. It is the fucking craziest shit I’ve ever seen. For those who’ve never heard of the show, it’s the ultimate – literally, the ULTIMATE – competition show that pits man against obstacle. It’s like watching human beings trying to conquer a Super Mario stage brought to life. The reason I’m salivating here is because my fiance and I recently discovered/obsessed over this show. I can’t get enough of it!
- Quick Knicks tangent: MELO, BABY!!! MELO!!!
- Sorry to anyone on the RSS feed who has been receiving old posts. I’m not sure why that is happening or if it was only one or two people. If anyone has any clue, feel free to hit me up.
- Everyone seems to be enjoying the new storyline, and the new ‘villain’, Jordan. Sigh, it wasn’t so long ago when all of you wanted to clench your fists and give Ethan a one-two punch. My, how times have changed. Just to elaborate, since some of you have expressed interest: YES, Jordan is slightly based on a couple of old classmates + a few unnamed comic artists. I’ll let you figure out who those artists might be.