The advance copy of Tails: Book One finally arrived in the mail today. It got to Hermes Press on the 20th, which means the main shipment will be here in 3 – 4 weeks. After that, it’ll be shipped straight to the distributors and onto book shelves everywhere. Is this exciting? YES! The book looks great, too. Matte finish cover, slick interior; the final product looks like an art book, I tell you. And all for only $16!! Now’s the time to order, folks. (I know, I know, I told everyone to pre-order in January and there was a huge delay, but now the books are finally here, so you can trust me. Only thing that could go wrong is if the shipment is lost at sea, so I think we’re safe) Order here. My wife sure is happy with her copy!
Hey all! Hope everyone is enjoying their summer. Just a few quick updates from my neck of the woods:
- Part of why I haven’t really updated the blog is because I haven’t really had any good news. ‘Tails: Book 1′ is still delayed, and there’s a strong possibility that the book may not even be here until August. Apparently, the printer in China received the print file early May and sat on it for 3 weeks before finally going to press. No communication or whatever. I wish I could just say ‘thems the breaks’ as usual, but this pisses me off royally.
At any rate, advance copies should be arriving this month, with the main shipment late July. After that, the books are shipped to the appropriate warehouses for immediate distribution. If there’s anything I learned from this experience, it’s to never, ever count on release dates. Sigh, sorry. I could sit here and apologize all night, but that would be redundant. Just know that I, as the creator of ‘Tails’, am TRULY sorry to anyone and everyone who ordered the book early.
- My new house is starting to lose that new house smell. I dunno, is that a good thing or a bad thing? I’m feeling more comfortable here, now that the house has lost its initial allure. It’s no longer ‘the house I own’ just ‘the house I live in’.
- The missus and I just filled out applications for APE in October and the Brooklyn Comics Festival in November. Fingers crossed on the books being here by then. E-mail me or leave a comment if you know of a smaller convention in your area that you think would be good for me to attend.
- Watched ‘Percy Jackson and the Olympians’ last night because the wife wanted to watch a ‘dumb super-hero-esque’ movie. Dumb doesn’t really begin to describe it…
Hey, folks! Crusader Cat buttons are now on sale for only a Buck and a Half. Look how cool they are! Order here.
Now, I know what some of you are thinking. “Hey, how come I need to go to 2 separate stores to get all my ‘Tails’ loot?! Is this a scam?!” Hardly. When the books arrive (and to those who pre-ordered, I’m really sorry for the delay, it’s unfortunately out of my hands at this moment), you’ll be able to order ‘Tails: Book 1′ along with the other merchandise to avoid paying 2 separate shipping costs. The trade-off is, ordering from my personal store means paying the full $15.99 cover price for the book. Ordering the book through Amazon.com means you’ll receive their discount (cuz let’s face it, they’re Amazon and that’s what they do).
Speaking of ‘Tails: Book 1′, Amazon’s new targeted release date is July 10th, which is over-shooting it a bit. The book should be in stores, and in your hands, something around June-ish. I want to apologize again to everyone who pre-ordered early and now has to wait and extra 1-2 months. Unfortunately, thems the breaks in the comic publishing world.
Some of you might have noticed that I’ve made a few changes to the site in recent weeks. Most notable is the fact that I’ve moved the blog underneath the comic page. It’s a bit more traditional, and now you won’t have to venture to a separate page/link to read my rants. And now, let me start with the rants…
- Unfortunately, I just heard from my publisher that Tails: Book One will be a bit delayed due to shipping complications. The book was printed in China, so you can imagine the distance these books have to travel. We’re looking at a 30 – 45 day delay from the targeted April 10th release date. Thems the breaks. I really want to take this time to apologize to everyone who ordered the book. I know a lot of you have shown nothing but enthusiastic support for Tails, and I want to thank you lots and lots. If I had any real super powers, I’d fly the books straight to your doorstep.
- On the upside, I received some updated order numbers, and Tails: Book One has done a lot better than I originally anticipated. There was a detailed breakdown, and it’s safe to say that some readers placed special orders with their bookstores. Once again, THANK YOU!!!!
- The missus and I recently moved into our new house and it’s been a ton of work, fun, stress, and fulfillment. I never really dreamed of having my own home, let alone own a home while having a career as a cartoonist, but it’s been a dream come true. I’ve done things I never thought I’d realistically get to do, like ripping up carpet and redoing hardwood floors. Or sanding doors. Or gardening. You get the idea.
- Lastly, I’ll leave you with this neat sketch I did for my friend, Mike, owner of Green Dragon Comic Shop. It’s one of those sketch variants to give to shops to promote events and such. Enjoy!!
There’s still time to pre-order Tails: Book One on amazon.com, everyone. Only $8.50 for 160 pages of pure awesomeness! Ok, now that I’ve got that shameless bit of self-promotion out of the way, some news and notes:
- Haven’t gotten a chance to see the premiere of Walking Dead yet. Truth be told, I was starting to get a bit let down towards the end of the last season (or half-season). It’s still a phenomenally well-made show, but the method-y acting just got worse and worse with each episode. Seriously, how many times can you take a deep breath, look sideways, and then jolt forward to deliver a line in dramatic fashion? It reminded me of later seasons of LOST or BSG, where every character began resembling a caricature of themselves. But that’s just me complaining as usual. And speaking of Walking Dead…
- How many of you have caught up with the current lawsuit between the original artist, Tony Moore, and Robert Kirkman? It’s a bit disheartening to hear, because I always figured that The Walking Dead was one of those fairy tale success stories, where everyone walked off happily ever after. Now money has torn a rift between childhood friends. I even mentioned TWD last year in my blog, using that comic as a shining example of how collaborations in comics can work.
- I might be doing a signing in NYC at Forbidden Planet for Comeback Kings. The second issue is due out later this month, along with a second printing of issue 1. I know, I know, it came out VERY late, but this is what happens when distributors and publishers don’t get everything 100% organized. I’ll keep you updated on all that.